阿巴斯将无法出席联合国大会。
阿巴斯将无法出席联合国大会。

US Refuses to Issue Visas to Palestinian President

Published at Aug 30, 2025 03:20 pm
On the 29th, the US government announced that it would not issue visas to senior Palestinian officials who wish to attend the United Nations General Assembly in New York this September, and will revoke previously issued visas.

In a statement, the US State Department said: "Ahead of the upcoming United Nations General Assembly, Secretary of State Rubio has denied and revoked visas for members of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) and the Palestinian National Authority."

The statement added: "The Trump administration has made it clear: Holding the PLO and Palestinian National Authority accountable for failing to honor their commitments and for damaging the prospects for peace is in our national security interest."

A State Department official confirmed that Palestinian President Abbas and about 80 other officials would not be granted US visas.

According to US media reports, this action by the US government is in response to some Western countries planning to recognize the State of Palestine during the United Nations General Assembly.

Bar on Abbas Attending UNGA Is Unprecedented

The Palestinian Presidential Office issued a statement expressing "deep regret" over the US decision and said the US is "blatantly violating international law and the UN Headquarters Agreement," calling on the US to reconsider its decision.

According to the Host Country Agreement between the US and the UN, the US government is obligated to allow delegations from around the world to travel to New York to attend the General Assembly.

In 2012, the UN General Assembly voted to grant Palestine observer state status. Nearly 150 countries have recognized the State of Palestine, and France, the UK, Canada, and Australia are also planning to recognize Palestine soon.

Author

联合日报newsroom


相关报道