香港保安局局长邓炳强28日下午向媒体发言。
香港保安局局长邓炳强28日下午向媒体发言。

【Hong Fuk Court Level 5 Fire】Fire Alarm System Malfunctioned

Published at Nov 28, 2025 05:09 pm
In Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong, the massive fire at Hong Fuk Court has resulted in the death toll rising to 128, authorities said on the 28th. The fire has been completely extinguished, and in order to search for survivors, forced entry and searches have been carried out in 1,018 residential units.

Relevant departments inspected the fire alarm systems in 8 buildings and found that these devices had all failed to function properly. The cause of the fire will require several weeks to investigate. The Hong Kong government has launched a probe into the cause of what is described as the most serious fire in nearly 80 years.

Hong Kong Fire Services Department Deputy Director (Operations) Chan Hing-yung said on the 28th that major firefighting operations at Hong Fuk Court had been completed. The Fire Services will carry out forced entry (explosive entry) into all units of the 7 blocks where the fire occurred to search and ensure no one is trapped inside. Most of the deceased were found in the first building to catch fire, Hong Cheong House, and the adjacent Hong Tai House, though survivors were discovered in different buildings.

Secretary for Security Chris Tang stated on the afternoon of the 28th that the latest death toll from the fire had increased to 128.

Authorities further indicated that the alarm systems in the building where the fire broke out did not function properly; inspection of fire alarm systems in 8 blocks found that none of these devices were operating effectively. To search for survivors, forced entry and searches of 1,018 units were conducted. Currently, a system is also being established to record detailed information on the injured and missing, to help families locate their loved ones more easily. The investigation into the cause of the fire will take several weeks.

Police on the 27th arrested three suspects, all responsible persons from engineering companies involved in maintenance works at Hong Fuk Court, on suspicion of manslaughter. More arrests have not been ruled out.


Author

联合日报newsroom


相关报道