KOTA KINABALU, Aug 17 (Bernama) -- The Federal Government has approved RM1.57 billion under the First Rolling Plan of the 13th Malaysia Plan (MP13) to help fulfil commitments under the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63) for Sabah’s health sector.
Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said the allocation covered 53 projects, comprising 46 ongoing and seven new projects, in line with the ministry’s strategic plan to develop high-impact health facilities to meet the needs of Sabahans.
“Among the new projects are the RM125 million Sabah Heart Centre and the RM81.95 million Sapulut Type 5 Health Clinic in Nabawan, including staff quarters,” he told reporters here today.
The minister was speaking after co-chairing the first 2026 Sabah Health Development Joint Action Committee meeting with Sabah Women, Health and People’s Wellbeing Minister Datuk Julita Majungki.
Ministry of Health (MOH) secretary-general Datuk Seri Hasnol Zam Zam Ahmad was also present.
On staffing and human resources, Dzulkefly said 607 new positions had been created in Sabah as of Aug 1 this year.
The posts comprised 355 in the Management and Professional category, including 77 specialist positions and 203 medical, dental and pharmacy officers, as well as 252 posts in the Support group to ensure health facilities operated at optimum capacity.
He said the MOH had also set a target of increasing the Sabah Health Department’s annual allocation by five per cent, with total funding expected to reach RM4 billion by 2030.
On MA63-related matters in the health sector, Dzulkefly said negotiations through five subcommittees were progressing smoothly.
He said 33 demands submitted had been examined and discussed jointly to determine the next steps towards implementation.
“The MOH and Sabah Government will focus fully on moving towards comprehensive implementation. Progress in the negotiations and implementation will be monitored through a Balanced Scorecard with key performance indicators agreed by both sides,” he said.
Dzulkefly also praised the Sabah Government for its openness and strong cooperation throughout the MA63 negotiations.
“We will continue working together to ensure all these commitments are successfully implemented to safeguard the quality of healthcare and wellbeing of Sabahans,” he said.
Meanwhile, Dzulkefly said the Federal Government remained committed to addressing grassroots needs, including hospital facilities in Sabah.
Following visits to three district hospitals in Sabah yesterday, he said the MOH had identified urgent facility needs and approved almost RM4.3 million in immediate funding.
The allocation included RM988,000 for Tambunan Hospital to upgrade its Emergency Department, repair the canteen and procure medical equipment.
Ranau Hospital received RM1.279 million to address critical facility issues, while Kota Belud Hospital was allocated RM2.01 million to upgrade its Outpatient Unit, improve dental unit equipment and procure a new Mobile X-Ray machine to replace an 18-year-old asset, he added.
“Among the new projects are the RM125 million Sabah Heart Centre and the RM81.95 million Sapulut Type 5 Health Clinic in Nabawan, including staff quarters,” he told reporters here today.
The minister was speaking after co-chairing the first 2026 Sabah Health Development Joint Action Committee meeting with Sabah Women, Health and People’s Wellbeing Minister Datuk Julita Majungki.
Ministry of Health (MOH) secretary-general Datuk Seri Hasnol Zam Zam Ahmad was also present.
On staffing and human resources, Dzulkefly said 607 new positions had been created in Sabah as of Aug 1 this year.
The posts comprised 355 in the Management and Professional category, including 77 specialist positions and 203 medical, dental and pharmacy officers, as well as 252 posts in the Support group to ensure health facilities operated at optimum capacity.
He said the MOH had also set a target of increasing the Sabah Health Department’s annual allocation by five per cent, with total funding expected to reach RM4 billion by 2030.
On MA63-related matters in the health sector, Dzulkefly said negotiations through five subcommittees were progressing smoothly.
He said 33 demands submitted had been examined and discussed jointly to determine the next steps towards implementation.
“The MOH and Sabah Government will focus fully on moving towards comprehensive implementation. Progress in the negotiations and implementation will be monitored through a Balanced Scorecard with key performance indicators agreed by both sides,” he said.
Dzulkefly also praised the Sabah Government for its openness and strong cooperation throughout the MA63 negotiations.
“We will continue working together to ensure all these commitments are successfully implemented to safeguard the quality of healthcare and wellbeing of Sabahans,” he said.
Meanwhile, Dzulkefly said the Federal Government remained committed to addressing grassroots needs, including hospital facilities in Sabah.
Following visits to three district hospitals in Sabah yesterday, he said the MOH had identified urgent facility needs and approved almost RM4.3 million in immediate funding.
The allocation included RM988,000 for Tambunan Hospital to upgrade its Emergency Department, repair the canteen and procure medical equipment.
Ranau Hospital received RM1.279 million to address critical facility issues, while Kota Belud Hospital was allocated RM2.01 million to upgrade its Outpatient Unit, improve dental unit equipment and procure a new Mobile X-Ray machine to replace an 18-year-old asset, he added.