Len speaks to reporters at the Melanau Family Day 2025.
Len speaks to reporters at the Melanau Family Day 2025.

Premier approves nine-storey Lebuk Melanau project

Published at Nov 29, 2025 05:50 pm
KUCHING: A new nine-storey Lebuk Melanau complex, designed with distinctive Melanau cultural motifs, will soon rise on a two-acre site at Jalan Ong Tiang Swee here after receiving approval from the Premier recently.

Deputy Minister for Urban Planning, Land Administration and Environment, Datuk Len Talif Salleh, said the project is expected to be tendered early next year and will take about three years to complete.

“We have briefed the Premier, Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg, and he agreed for us to proceed with developing the nine-storey Lebuk Melanau.

“This is in line with the state government’s support for various communities, just as it has provided allocations for the Orang Ulu, Iban, Bidayuh and others,” he said.

He said this when met by reporters after officiating the Melanau Family Day 2025 at Wisma Melanau here today.

Len, who is also the Kuala Rajang state assemblyman, said the land had been under the Sarawak Melanau Community Charitable Trust Board (LAKKMS) ownership for more than two decades with limited progress, despite rapid development in surrounding areas such as the Islamic Information Centre, Swinburne University, Borneo Medical Centre, and nearby government complexes.

“With all the developments around it, the potential for Lebuk Melanau is very promising. It can house students, lecturers, and professionals linked to the Islamic Information Centre and Borneo Medical Centre, who will be able to use the facilities here,” he said.

The high-impact project is estimated to be worth RM55 million and will include modern amenities such as laundry services and a multipurpose hall suitable for weddings, meeting the strong demand for event venues in the area.

Author

联合日报newsroom


相关报道