On the 17th, U.S. President Trump told the media at the White House that Iran wants to reach an agreement, but 'will not reach the kind of agreement I think is necessary.'
Trump made these remarks in response to a question about the progress of U.S.-Iran negotiations. He did not disclose details of the negotiations, but emphasized that 'Iran cannot have nuclear weapons.'
When asked whether the U.S. plans to extend the memorandum of understanding reached with Iran, Trump gave a negative answer. On August 17, the 60-day negotiation window specified in the memorandum of understanding between the U.S. and Iran came to an end. In mid-June, the two parties signed the memorandum remotely, committing to negotiate and reach a final agreement within 60 days.
Trump stated that the U.S. is completely controlling the Strait of Hormuz through a blockade, and that 'we are shipping out millions of barrels of oil every week.'
When asked by the media regarding remarks about Oman being attacked by the U.S. if it obstructed the opening of the Strait of Hormuz, Trump said he thought Oman's behavior was not very good, but 'we will handle it easily.'
Iran and Oman are currently finalizing a memorandum of understanding on the Strait of Hormuz. Earlier on the 17th, Fox News Channel reported that Trump stated that if Oman obstructs the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz by the U.S., the U.S. would launch an attack on it.