A Malaysian pilot was arrested in Jakarta last month for allegedly smuggling drugs, and the Indonesian authorities have now approved the Malaysian investigation team to record statements from the pilot for a thorough probe.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin said that although it is still at an early stage, this development helps to facilitate a more in-depth investigation.
He said at a press conference after attending the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency's AW189 helicopter receiving ceremony today (3rd) that Bukit Aman Narcotics Crime Investigation Director Datuk Husin had given him a preliminary briefing on the latest progress of these procedures.
“The investigation is still ongoing. Let them complete this procedure first, and I will share any latest developments from the investigation at a later time.”
He also mentioned that a comprehensive plan aimed at strengthening domestic airport security controls is expected to be presented to the Cabinet meeting next Wednesday.
Saifuddin pointed out that he has reviewed a report from Home Ministry Secretary-General Datuk Awang, who has been entrusted to chair an inter-departmental meeting to further work out the plan's details.
“Starting from last week, I gave them two weeks to further refine the plan. If there are no changes, I will jointly present this plan with the Transport Minister at the next Cabinet meeting.”
On July 29, a Malaysian pilot was arrested in Indonesia for allegedly smuggling a large quantity of drugs, including over 70,000 ecstasy pills weighing 25 kilograms.
According to reports, the 39-year-old man took Malaysia Airlines flight MH727 from Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta, and was subsequently arrested for investigation at Terminal 3 of Soekarno-Hatta International Airport.