(Jakarta, 17th) — Indonesian President Prabowo has admitted that the free nutrition meal program he has spearheaded 'has many problems'.
In a speech published on the official YouTube channel on Saturday (May 16), Prabowo said: 'Indeed, there are many problems and challenges. Free nutrition meals will bring many issues, and we must sort everything out.'
The free nutrition meal is Prabowo’s signature policy, but this costly program, launched since January 2025, has already resulted in thousands suffering from food poisoning. Critics have called for a suspension of the program, citing hygiene and corruption issues.
As of March this year, the program has provided meals to more than 61 million people.
As of March this year, the program has provided meals to more than 61 million people.
As Jakarta seeks to address the economic shocks brought by the Middle East war, this program is among the first to be affected.
The Indonesian government shortened the meal program’s supply time in March this year from six days a week to five days to save funds.
Prabowo said that despite the many issues, the free nutrition meal program continues to enjoy public support. 'The free nutrition meal is crucial for our country. Wherever I go, I meet ordinary citizens and farmers saying, "Sir, please don’t stop the free nutrition meal program. It really makes sure my child has enough to eat."'
The Indonesian government shortened the meal program’s supply time in March this year from six days a week to five days to save funds.
Prabowo said that despite the many issues, the free nutrition meal program continues to enjoy public support. 'The free nutrition meal is crucial for our country. Wherever I go, I meet ordinary citizens and farmers saying, "Sir, please don’t stop the free nutrition meal program. It really makes sure my child has enough to eat."'
The free nutrition meal program was Prabowo’s flagship campaign promise in the 2024 presidential election.
According to local media reports, the Indonesian civil organization 'Indonesia Corruption Watch' filed a lawsuit last week against the head of the National Nutrition Agency, Dadan Hindayana, who is responsible for distributing the meals.
The Corruption Watch organization reported to the anti-corruption commission that there was a discrepancy of nearly US$50 million (RM197.475 million) in the halal certification procurement budget.
More than 20% of Indonesian children suffer from stunted growth due to severe malnutrition. The government hopes this program can provide meals to at least 82.9 million people, about one third of Indonesia’s population.