In the early hours of the 17th, a shooting broke out at a nightclub in Brooklyn, New York City, leaving 3 people dead and 9 injured. Police have not arrested anyone yet and indicated that the violent incident may be gang-related.
New York City Police Chief Tish said that around 3:30 a.m. on the 17th, a dispute broke out at the “City Taste” nightclub, which quickly escalated into a shooting. Police found 42 shell casings of different calibers at the scene and recovered a gun on a nearby street. The initial investigation suggests that at least four shooters were involved. However, no suspects have been arrested at this time.
This nightclub bloodshed is the second major mass shooting in New York in recent weeks. On July 29, a man stormed into an office building in Manhattan and opened fire, resulting in 4 deaths and 1 injury.
Tish stated that the 9 wounded are being treated at the hospital and none are in life-threatening condition. She said the victims range in age from 19 to 61 years old. Of the three deceased, a 19-year-old man died at the scene, while two other men, aged 35 and 27, were pronounced dead after being taken to the hospital.
According to statistics from the U.S. “Gun Violence Archive” website, as of August 17, there have been 274 mass shootings in the U.S. this year. Across all types of gun violence incidents, 9,401 people have died and 17,163 have been injured nationwide so far this year.